Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Angry Earth


Sometimes on the way to work I listen to the radio. Sometimes I listen to silence or my own thoughts trying to sort them out in my head. Other times I call my mom or Allen or I plug in my ipod. When I do listen to the radio I listen to talk radio. I like the personalities in the morning, they make me laugh and that’s always a nice way to start your day. One of the stations that frequently keeps me company on my 45 minute commute is NPR. I always feel smarter after listening to NPR. I feel like it speaks from an unbiased view point and I learn more about the world on the way to work in way that doesn’t bore me.

Today I just happened to be listening to NPR. I listened to people report on the tsunami and earthquake that hit Indonesia and Samoa. I listened to the reporters based in those areas speak of destruction, death and loss. Students on the way to school, elderly getting ready for their meals, workers walking to catch public transportation – all wiped out within minutes. Impossible for them to reach higher ground in the five minute span that the waters receded and then washed over people and buildings.

I can’t even imagine it. I can’t imagine the terror those children faced. All the people faced in those last moments of their life. The relief will flood in. There is enough good in people to send money, to send medication and to go themselves. The United States is declaring money for a federal disaster for American Samoa. Just last week the United States declared the county I work in as an area for federal disaster area for relief money.

Even though the loss of such life saddened me on the way to work this morning, I couldn’t shake the feeling and realization of the biblical ties to all the natural disasters. CNN’s headline today reads “The Angry Earth.” I am the first to admit that I don’t know much about the end times. I haven’t read revelations in a long time, and when I did read it I don’t think I really understood it. But I know enough to know that worldwide disaster will occur. Natural disasters will precede Jesus’ second coming. This morning my heart flickered with a warning. It was a wake up call to me. Thank you Holy Spirit. Even if I am long gone when God sends his Son back to Earth, I am thankful for the Holy Spirits reminder this morning. I pray that I can respond not only in emotion but in action as well.

1 comment:

  1. I like NPR too. Used to listen to it on my lunch break sitting in the car in the Spenco parking lot... the news made me feel informed and the classical music calmed my nerves. Enjoy your thought processing time in the car this week :)

    ReplyDelete