Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Words

You know that old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"
I can remember my mom talking to me when I was little and telling me to repeat this phrase when anyone would make fun of me or hurt my feelings. I remember it very well.

I wish that I had remembered it during this season of pregnancy....here are a few comments that people have made over the past 8 months:

" Looks like you have been eating a lot of pizza these days"

"wow you look so tired, are you due any day? I can tell your pregnant because your nose is spreading"

" Is that all baby?"

"You are starting to look pregnant. For a while you were just looking lumpy"

"Is that all baby or did you go to a buffet?"

" Are you having twins?"

"What are you feeding that baby?"

Some of the comments have been made by my co-workers or strangers even. The ones that have hurt the most are the ones by family or friends. I don't understand how someone can think it is okay to say such hurtful comments to someone who actually has a valid reason for gaining weight. I know that some of the comments that were said to me would NEVER be said to an overweight person or a fat person. This season of carrying a child is supposed to be one of joy and fun and love and excitement. And Praise the Good Lord that it has been. I have been down for a minute when comments have been said to me but the Lord has not allowed others to steal my joy. Praise that Lord that my husband has nothing but love towards me and my growing belly.

Last night we went to a class at our hospital on brith. It was really awesome to be in a room surrounded by pregnant women and their supporters. Our teacher was a sweet woman that I would love to have in the room with me during our child's actual birth. She said something that I believe is very true and very encouraging. She said that anyone can have a baby naturally if you are not afraid. If you do not fear childbirth. I am not saying that someone shouldn't get the drugs but I do believe that many women are afraid of birth. That fear I believe can hinder many (including myself) in allowing our bodies to do what God created them to do naturally. Anyways, overall it was a great experience. I couldn't stop crying during the video when the three women were rewarded for their hard effort and three beautiful babies were born. I am not "ready" for the big day but I am so ready to hold this child of mine, gaze into it's eyes, share this amazing experience with my loving husband,best friend and partner. Ahh!! A dream is coming true!

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you got to spend time with some other pregnant couples! It is incredibly cathartic to be around people going through a similar situation as you. Fear is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome besides actually getting that baby head out. My Dad told me when I was in my 3rd trimester that women that were terrified of birth ended up being in more pain during labor. So much of the whole process is mental. I know youre going to do such an awesome job bc youve educated yourself and bc you have a supportive husband that loves you. 2 of the most important things : ). i love you and youre beautiful no matter what any of those insensitive, no manners people say to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we met at Frederica A. You have provided so much love and encouragment to me throughout all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously? how rude! glad you had a good experience in class though :o)

    ReplyDelete