Sunday, January 2, 2011

it is 4am

It is 4am.
I am awake.
I just put in a load of laundry
I just put away the clean dishes
I just put in dirty dishes
I just fed our newborn baby

I will most likely not go back to sleep until after 6am. Why?

In the big mistake that I spill my "dirty laundry" or just use the blog as a place to vent there are plenty of reasons why I will not return to my warm soft bed until 6am.

I am stressed out. I am exhausted emotionally and mentally. I don't need to go in to detail about the reasons that I am so stressed out that a simple pile of laundry on the living room floor did me in. And why staying up to do laundry is a better bet for me mentally then resting my pretty little head.

Being a mommy is hard and sheesh I have been a mommy for a little over 2 weeks. I anticipated life changing, I anticipated a lack of sleep (not this much though) and I anticipated a good learning curve.

I did not anticipate breastfeeding to be such an "art" or for grunts and coos in the middle of night force me to sleep with one eye open half the time. I did not anticipate having to wake every 2 hours to make a bottle or freak out when we see bubbles in her mouth and run around the house at 3am looking for a blue bulb to remove said bubbles.

Lesson learned: being a mommy does not = being a babysitter. There is way to much involved. Too much love, too much care, too much concern. I never worried about anything so much. And even though my husband tries to ease my worry every day its unavoidable to me. I never imagined I would care so much.

A friend of mine said something really wise the other day in an email. She said that we are so selfish that it is hard to get used to being a mom because you are no longer thinking of yourself all the time, you have to put your child first. Even at 2 am and at 4am and at 6am when you would much rather sleep than be a zombie standing in front of the formula and the bottle.

I am praying that the Lord will help me be less selfish. That I can put our daughter first so that in the middle of the night or when it is inconvenient to me or just plain hard that I am not so concerned about me. That HE will give me the love or the strength or the wisdom to push through whatever it is so that I am not absorbed in me.

"Tomorrow" is another day. I am so thankful that I receive new mercies every morning and that His grace is sufficient for me. There is no way that I can be a good mother unless I realize that I can do NOTHING on my own. Not even the help of my amazing and kind husband will get me through the roughest of days (nights). The Lord is enough - Its just up to me to depend on Him and not try to do it on my own.

1 comment:

  1. It's the lack of sleep that is the hardest. Even though people warn you about it, you can't prepare for it or "get it" until you are in it! How do single mothers, with other children, do it??? The goods news is that it doesn't last forever and "pressure makes diamonds"! I know you are loving every minute with your precious baby. She is beautiful!
    And you know what? Just when you absolutely can't take it anymore, she will sleep 6hrs! Of course you will have been in there 5 times to make sure she is ok, BUT it will give you encouragement and hope that things will get better!
    Love, Ruth

    ReplyDelete