Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros vs. Cons

I have been doing some thinking. I would like to share my thoughts here.

Before I started this little blog I was always online reading up on my friends blogs. I loved hearing about their adventures or seeing pictures of them in their own little life's going about every day. It was a great way for me to feel connected to those that were far away. I kind of made it my morning routine. I would wake up get a cup of coffee and sit down for some reading. Then one day I stumbled upon a blog of someone that I had never met and I started reading. I stumbled upon another blog and another blog. I found blogs about redecorating, cooking and repuropsing old things. I was in blog "heaven." I would use so much of my time looking into other people's lives and adventures and I enjoyed it.

Since then I have zeroed in on a few blogs that I regularly look at. I enjoy reading about particular things like home improvement or a friends life as a newly wed. I enjoy getting ideas on how to use things around my house for multi use instead of just throwing it away or how to cook a healthy meal for the husband and me. But I also have really allowed other's lives to make mine feel small. To make me feel like I am not pretty enough, or creative enough or happy enough. Does that ever happen to you? Comparing myself to others has always been a weakness of mine. I can be perfectly happy with my weekend plans and then I read that someone is going on a fabulous picnic with their sweetie and then taking a tour of historic wherever and then making homemade blueberry pies and I feel like my weekend plans of "staying home in PJ's and playing with Molly" is all of a sudden lazy and boring.  I hate that.

I think that for the next month I am going to read my friends blogs that encourage me like this one And I will also read this friends and of course hers. I don't personally know this family or this sweet family of four but I am always encouraged in some way by reading about their life.

I hope that while I take a semi hiatus of blogs that I find myself feeling less than after reading, that God will really do a work in my heart. I love reading about the lives of others and I am inspried to think outside the box when I read them, I just have somehow fallen into the trap of comparasion. It is no way the authors fault of those blogs, it is just how I see myself in comparasion to them.

I am excited about the work I am asking God to do. I know that He loves me so so much and I believe that He doesn't want me to look at someone else's life with longing. He has plans beyond my imagination for my family and I want to be excited about those plans not someone else's.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you 100% on every word. You could have pulled it from my own brain. I encourage you to keep up the reading discretion. I want to do the same. I tried to clean up my Google Reader, but i'm having trouble deleting the blogs I don't want anymore. Need to try again.

    ReplyDelete