Thursday, October 1, 2009

8 ways to improve your people skills

I don’t think about it much but I could really brush up in this area.
In college I took classes about this. I think everyone should take classes about how to be nice to people. It wouldn’t hurt. I’m just sayin.

Don’t complain

Smile

Listen closely and actively

Praise others

Show gratitude

Talk about other’s interests

Remember names

Make a sacrifice

If I could issue awards to my friends who do these things wonderfully I would dish out the following:

Summer – I rarely hear her complain. She will identify with me, encourage me if I am struggling and maybe share something of her own where she has dealt with the same issue. But complain? Not really.

My mom- she smiles at everyone. Sometimes she smiles when she is annoyed and is trying not to be. I love her smile.

Robyn- an amazing listener. And she remembers. So not only does she listen to me but she will remember to ask me how something is going or if a situation got better.

Praise others: hmmm….

Bethany: Shows gratitude. My friend Bethany who has an amazing talent in cooking, writing and appreciating others. She blesses others by thanking them and finding value in their actions as well as who they are as people.

Kelly: Talks about others interests. She is not selfish. She cares about others. She really really does. When I talk to Kelly she asks me questions about my life. About the lives of people around me, that are important to me. She shows me she cares about me in this way. It is so comforting and so healing to my heart.

Beth: she has a talent of remembering names. I think this one of the reasons she has so many friends.

Pop tart/Taco/Oats/A/Allen/My husband….is always making a sacrifice for me. Small things like where we eat for dinner, what movie we might see on the weekend. Big things like where we spend our first Christmas as a married couple. His love for me is so real and so Christ-like that he is making sacrifices daily. Sometimes I am aware and it is obvious. Sometimes it is hard to see. But its is so life giving. So sweet. So powerful. I hope I can learn from him. So I can be a better woman. A better wife. A more loving friend, daughter, sister, mom (one day J

3 comments:

  1. My love, I don't feel worthy of such compliments and in such company. I feel like I fail everyday trying to be those things, but I think when I fee like I've failed it makes me want to try that much harder. I'll try and live up to what you've said. I am so thankful for you, I will do all I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ur too sweet...I love you...you ask great questions and listen attentively....and you make me laugh..hard..really

    ReplyDelete