Friday, May 21, 2010

A beautiful life

I miss this house. I miss the street. I miss all of our late night walks, mid day walks and making this house our first home after coming back from our honeymoon. Don't get me wrong, I love the new house, we have big God sized plans and we are happy there - but this week I have been sentimental. The other night when I was waiting for Allen to meet me for Chinese I drove by 2154. I thought about all the features in the house that I miss. I miss sitting on the couch in our living room and just talking. I miss the tiny outdated kitchen. I miss the back porch with the big glass windows.
As we packed up the house it felt less and less like ours, and more like an empty house. I think that if I were to walk in there today I would just cry. I get attached to things easily if they represent memories of joy and happiness to me. This house, as much work as it needed - as much as I complained about the overcrowded basement - it was a place of such LOVE. I told Allen that I loved him for the first time in that house, we dreamed about marriage in that house, we painted kitchens and dining rooms and Allen re -tiled floors. I mentally planned out a nursery and we opened that house to friends and family whenever they needed it. We came home from our honeymoon and enjoyed almost a whole year of marriage in that house. We laughed and made smores in the fireplace and got our first Christmas tree.....

This new house will hold many many amazing memories of love too....but I will never ever forget that beautiful home and all the memories that it holds for me. I know Allen has many more since he grew up with that as his grandparents house and lived there in college. Sometimes its just hard to let go.

**picture taken by Summer Merier

4 comments:

  1. SUCH a great picture of you two. It was such a lovely house. I'm glad I got to spend some time there. You can look forward to many many wonderful years in the new house. Imagine the memories to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. friend, I know how you feel. I thought I wouldn't get over leaving the home where we brought our first baby home...but over time the idea of "home" shifts in your mind to the new place that has gone from awkward to comfortable...and then you form new sweet memories so that when you think back it is of the new place. Isn't it wonderful to know that there are so many good memories to come? Sympathizing with you and excited to see what memories your new home holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First homes do take hold of a part of our hearts that will never be shared with any future home. We were extremely sad to say goodbye to ours in Texas and still miss it terribly. So many first experiences and lessons learned there. Right now it's our standard in "coziness" but with time I'm sure that will change, as with you... pride of ownership will soon lead you to fall in love with this amazing new home in a whole new way and that new spot in your heart will keep the 2154 spot company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya'll are so right and such an encouragment!! Thank you for your king words and understanding hearts! Love you all mucho!

    ReplyDelete