Monday, June 20, 2011

Living as a nomad

Well the past month I have been assigned a new role. I am already a wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. The month of June I have been able to add "nomad" to that list. Allen and I enjoyed a beautiful, fun, and funny week at the beach. I will have to write about that adventure later.

After returning from the week at the beach we came home to an uncomfortably warm house. After checking the inside and outside cooling unit we came to the realization that we were without air conditioning.  We probably could have stayed there that night but I was a worried mom about her baby so we booked a last minute cheapo hotel room at midnight. Yes. Midnight. The next day and two days following we stayed at a friends condo. Then we went home (still without air) but had a portable air conditing unit in our bedroom. It was cool in the bedroom...but that was about it. I tried to spend my time during the day with Molly in the car, at the pool, in the shops.  A good friend of my mom's offered up her lovely home and we were there for almost an entire week!!  Then back to my house for one night and now I am on St.Simons with my family.

Needless to say I am a little out of sorts. Living out of a suitcase is one thing but adding a baby who is becoming more mobile is another. I am so so so thankful for the love and generosity of my friends and my mom's friends. We are beyond thankful that we had a cool place to stay instead of sweating it out in our house. I know now, that I have a major personality adjustment when faced with no air conditioning.

I also put Molly on a new schedule and finally "let her cry it out." All while living in someone else's home. Good idea? I don't know, but I do know that Molly is pretty awesome and I love her all the more. I also love the woman who didn't mind listening to molly cry for 25 minutes before she put herself to sleep.

and the air conditioning? Yeah....we still don't have it.

1 comment:

  1. no AC? oh no! makes me even more confident in our decision to replace the 23 year old unit in our house before moving in...

    have fun with your forced nomad visiting. and good job with the "crying out" decision! press on, nomads...

    (CUTE new header pics on the blog! how did you do that?)

    ReplyDelete