Friday, February 24, 2012

A shepherd looks at Psalm 23

I borrowed a book from my gram. It is rocking my world right now. It is called "A shepherd looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller.

Maybe I am like last on the train to read this book and discover Christ's unique character through it but if you haven't heard of it check it out. It is an old book, one that is yellowed with age but holds truth in it that I have never known before.

It was written by a man who grew up in Africa herding sheep. He takes the famous psalm written by David and breaks it down from a shepherds perspective. I have only gotten through the first chapter but it is really teaching me a lot.

Here a few things that have jumped out at me:
"Many who either read or study the Scriptures in the 20th century come from an urban, man-made environment. They are often unfamiliar with such subjects as livestock, crops, and fruit etc. They miss much of the truth taught in God's word because they are not familiar with such things as sheep, wheat, soil or grapes."

"Our view of Him is often too small--- too cramped--too provincial--to human. And because it we feel unwilling to allow Him to have authority or control--much less outright ownership of our lives."

Talking about David's proclamation 'The LORD is my shepherd':  " after all, he knew from firsthand experience that the lot in life of any particular sheep depend on the type of man who owned it. Some men were gentle, kind, intelligent, brae and selfless in their devotion to their stock. Under one man sheep would struggle, starve and suffer endless hardship. In another's care they would flourish and thrive contentedly."

" His ownership of me as a human being is legitimate----simply because it is He who brought me into being and no one is better to able to understand or care for me"

I am so enjoying these truths as I read about our Lord the Good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment