Thursday, January 7, 2010

Friendship

Friend defined by Websters:

- a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard.

- a person who is on good terms with another

- a supporter; someone who gives assistance


I am so thankful for having good friends in my life. I am so thankful that I have people in my life who care about me, want to spend time with me and encourage me. I went to bible study last night with a good friend and I was just refreshed by our friendship. I think that it would be a pretty sad and lonely life if friends were not in the picture. God has been so good to me and provided friends to me in all of the different places that I have lived. God grew me up in a place that was small but the friendships that I made there are huge. I still talk to one of those girls on almost daily basis. When I moved to auburn and knew no one - God gave me amazing girls that would walk beside me in some of the toughest times of my life. Who would not leave me nor forget me once we moved to different cities and states. Those summers that I spent abroad I met people who I had felt like I had known forever. Every single place, from peru to italy to the UK. My latest and greatest move God brought friends from Auburn and introudced me to my best friend who is now my husband. I also got to meet two amazing girls at my first job who I still hang out with and pray with and enjoy their company. God is just so sweet and so knowing!

I think that it can be hard to be a friend at times. Depending in on what is going on in your personal life and then just learning how to deny the flesh and press into the spirit. I know that I am not a perfect friend at all times. Regardless that just encourages me and challenges me to take better care of the relationships in my life. To honor God with my friendships and to become a better person because of them.

I was talking on the phone with a wise friend the other night and the conversation of healthy relationships came up. I think that during the past few years I have really started to learn the difference between safe people and toxic people. I think everyone when they really look into the quality of the relationships in their life will find that some are healthier than others, more trusting than others and more enjoyable than others. Its hard to let go of relationships that you know aren't the best for you - and its hard to put distance between yourself and another even when its what you need. In no way am I saying that you should only love people that are easy to love, that isn't what Christ preached. I am saying that if there are people in your life, in my life that are negative or demanding of you or even causes you to stumble in your faith to pray about it. To seek God's direction in either healing that relationship or taking a healthy step away from it.

1 Samuel 20:42

Jonathan said, "Go in peace!! The two of us have vowed friendship in God's name, saying God will be the bond between me and you and between my children and your children forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment